The Collaborative Land Development Modeling Kit
A new tool for improving stakeholder relationships
- 195 hardwood model buildings: 5 shapes x 3 scales, sawn from walnut, cherry, mahogany, etc. in 5 shapes: Two story, ranch, cottage, large and small commercial buildings in three scales:
- 35 buildings at 1″ = 30′
- 65 buildings at 1″ – 50′
- 100 buildings at 1″ = 100′
- 49 Recreational Facilities Templates: A set of translucent color recreational facilities templates is provided in each of the three scales:: 1″ = 100′: 6 basketball courts, 5 double tennis courts, 6 volleyball courts, 2 soccer fields, 2 softball fields, 1 public green;1″ = 50′: 4 basketball courts, 4 double tennis courts, 3 volleyball courts, 1 soccer field, 1 public green; 1″ = 30′: 4 basketball courts, 2 double tennis courts, 4 volleyball courts, 1 public green.
- Walkways, roads, parks, and water on colored yarn. Tan for walkways, black for roads, blue for water, and green for parks.
- Collaborative Land Use Planning guidebook (190 pgs) for building trust and step-by-step, collaborative conceptualizing of profitable land development projects that include community-enhancing features which improve property values and quality of life in the surrounding neighborhood.
- Interactive CD that includes sample invitation letters to developers and neighbors, collaborative meeting agendas, consensus guidelines, planning board update letters, etc. for setting up and running successful project modeling sessions. Documents on the CD are in Microsoft Word so they can be easily customized and printed.
- Solid hardwood case 8″ x 12″ x 5″
- For modeling residential, commercial and park projects from 2 to 200 acres.This kit is for citizens groups, planning boards, planners, developers,architects, environmental groups, realtors, and teachers of K-12 and college.
Modeling the project together improves relationships between residents, developer, government officials, and environmental advocates. The project is modeled directly on a large aerial photo that includes both the project site and the surrounding area.
The modeling sessions serve two primary purposes. 1) to improve relationships between project stakeholders who may not know or trust each other, and 2) to model a profitable project that includes community-enhancing features that improve property values and quality of life in the surrounding area as well as in the project itself.
Detailed steps for running each modeling session and designing community enhancing projects are included in the guidebook enclosed with the kit..
Modeling the project improves relationships with government officials. A model of the proposed project on an aerial photo that shows the surrounding area makes an impressive presentation to government officials who are often concerned about the bigger picture. The flexibility of the model and the positive contributions of local residents who participated in the modeling sessions usually facilitate friendly, productive discussion regardless of past experience.
Models of the evolving project may be discussed with government officials on several occasions to test new ideas and to demonstrate improved relationships among the stakeholders.
Modeling land development projects is a useful teaching aid. Teachers in elementary school, high school, and college have purchased these Collaborative Land Development Modeling Kits.
In the photo on the right the class had been divided into two groups, each of which was designing the neighborhood where they would most like to grow up. As part of the exercise, each group then presented their favorite neighborhood to the other group.
The teacher was amazed how well the leadership and contributions in each group spontaneously self-selected. I was amazed how each child reflected their parents’ dinnertime conversation about land development. Look at their focus. The kids loved it!
Cutouts of all the buildings and recreational facilities in the kit are available at 1″ = 30′, 50′, &100′ scales for free download and printing.
The cutouts are also in the guidebook Appendix and on the CD.Or you can order the complete Collaborative Land Development Modeling Kit for $395.